As your loved one’s Alzheimer’s disease or dementia diagnosis progresses, the way they see the world around them changes. Regular stimuli like an afternoon TV show, the doorbell ringing or even home décor can be overwhelming for them to process. Fortunately, the right sensory stimulation can help relieve your loved one’s stress and anxiety. We offer a Multi-Sensory Lounge at Walnut Crossing that helps calm the minds of our memory care residents.
What is a Multi-Sensory Room?
A multi-sensory room is a secure environment that safely stimulates many senses of residents who are living with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. This room is often used to calm and reduce agitation through pleasant smells, soothing lights and relaxing sounds.
Our Multi-Sensory Lounge at Walnut Crossing is designed to improve resident health and wellness. As a resident, your loved one can experience the following benefits from this multi-sensory stimulation:
- Increased concentration
- Improved attention
- A higher sense of security
What to Expect from the Multi-Sensory Room at Walnut Crossing
Our state-of-the-art Multi-Sensory Lounge gives residents with Alzheimer’s or dementia a safe space to awaken their senses while relaxing their bodies. Residents are able to use each of their five senses in a way that doesn’t overwhelm them and improves their quality of life.
- Smell: Aromatherapy is used in our lounge to elicit different responses depending on what we think our resident or residents in the lounge would benefit from most at the time in use. Some of the scents used, like peppermint, lavender, and rosemary, are pleasant, but aromatherapy is much more than sensory stimulation. Aroma therapists claim certain healing effects for the various scents used, and these effects are beginning to be validated by the scientific community!
- Sight: Our Multi-Sensory Lounge has a variety of interactive lights and water displays to give residents a sense of joy and wonder. These lights can also improve your loved one’s sleep patterns and mood.
- Touch: The Multi-Sensory Lounge has a variety of objects residents can touch. Touch can be a great communication tool for your loved one to express their feelings in a therapeutic way.
- Sounds: The Multi-Sensory Lounge gives residents the opportunity to listen to the calming sounds of nature, music, poems and religious services. These sounds can trigger positive and relaxing memories and emotions your loved one can reminisce about.